1) Books for circulation
1. Readers who have a University ID card or a Library Card can borrow 5-30 books for one month, and renew up to three times in general cases (see Borrowing Privileges Table). Policies vary by branch and type of material, so check individual library rooms for specifics.
2. If all duplications of the item you need are already checked out, you can submit a reservation request via the Library online catalog.
3. If an item is reserved by another user upon checking out, the loan period will be shortened to 15 days.
4. Books in circulation can be renewed online under two conditions: no one else has reserved the book and the borrowing privilege is still valid.
5. If you have any questions concerning borrowing, consult to the Reference Desk or Loan Desk.
6. For overdue fines, and books that are lost and damaged, see Peking University Library Regulations of Overdue, Damage, Loss and Concealing Library Materials.
2) In-library reading
1. Readers with a University ID card or a Library Card can read books or newspapers in the reading room.
2. Readers should not carry books out of the reading room without borrowing them.
3. For books on open-shelves, please take on demand, and return it to specified position after you finish reading them.
4. Readers are required to follow Peking University Library Admission Notice, and maintaining a pleasant and productive environment requires that all readers and borrowers conduct themselves responsibly.
3) Interlibrary Loan
1. If PKU readers (limited to teachers and graduate students) have an interlibrary loan request to other CALIS member libraries , they can go through necessary procedures in the Interlibrary Loan Center.
2. If readers from other CALIS member libraries have an interlibrary loan request to PKU library, they can come to our library Interlibrary Loan Center and go through necessary procedures with the Interlibrary Loan Card or other valid certificate. They can also ask someone else to do this.
3. If the Interlibrary Loan book is overdue or lost, the library which the Interlibrary Loan Card belongs to will in charge of the compensation.
4) Non-PKU readers loan
For non-PKU readers’ loan privileges, please see Rules and Regulations for Visitors.
5) Loan rules of Special Resources
The special resources are only available for in-library readings yet readers are allowed to have them copied out in the library, and you must return them on the same day. Otherwise, a ¥10 fine will be charged per day and your borrowing privilege will be put on hold from one month to six months depending on the nature of the violation.
1. Loan rules of Special Collections
Special Collections are distributed in Preserved Copies(209), Theses & Dissertations(309), Reserved Books(E5-1), New Books(E5-1),Local Chronicles(E315), Special Resource Center(317), Taiwan Collections(401), University Collections(313), Rare Book Collections(E115) etc. All special collections are limited for use in the library.
2. Loan rules of newspapers and periodicals
The newspapers and periodicals collections are distributed in Periodical Collections (recent 10-15 years)(E4-1), Newspapers and Literature Periodicals (419), Periodical Collections (Back issues)(409) and Hong Kong and Taiwan Periodicals (409). All newspapers and periodicals are limited for use in the library.
3. Loan of the Reference books
Reference books are distributed in Reference Book Collections (E102-3) and every reading room. All reference books are limited for use in the library.
4. Rare collections, Pre-1949 Chinese Periodicals, Stone inscription and Rubbings are only available for relevant teachers and graduate students of PKU, plus limited for use in the library.
5. For borrowing special collections please see the homepage or specific regulations of each reading room
·Borrowing guide of Hong Kong and Taiwan periodicals
·Service fee standard of Early foreign periodicals
·Loan rules of the newspapers during the Cultural Revolution
·Books copy fee standards of rare collection room
·Loan rules of rare collection room