WHAT IS BALIS?
BALIS is the acronym for Beijing Academic library & Information System.
It provides access to:
· Collections of Chinese literature over 60 university libraries in Beijing;
· National Library core collection of Chinese literature and foreign literature (Users can check the collections of National Library via BALIS union online searching catalog to make sure the items you need are held by National Library. If you click the item and an "interlibrary loan" button shows up, it signifies the item is available);
· Shanghai Library Chinese and foreign collections which can circulate and are available for loan.
HOW TO MAKE A REQUEST VIA BALIS?
· First-time users should log in BALIS interlibrary loan(ILL) center website and click “create an account”, typing in University ID card number as identification number. You can verify your information by calling 010-62759723, or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Users can submit an interlibrary loan request via BALIS union searching system at http://188.8.131.52/UnionQuery1/.
· All books requested through BALIS ILL service will be shipped by EMS. If ILL items are available, you will receive an email or call notifying you of the pickup location. Please return the library items at ILL department.
· The loan quota is 10 items every time. The loan period is 4 weeks in general and might vary with individual libraries (e.g. 3 weeks for National Library items and 2 weeks for Shanghai Library items). It is free to loan the items.
For more details of BALIS service, e-mail email@example.com.